Saturday 6 April 2013

Day 2 BYOT. I've got a problem. . .


It all started famously. . .

For my lesson, I had students go to a bogus web site: allaboutexplorers.com.  I asked them to email me answers to these question:
- Where was Christopher Columbus born?
- When was Christopher Columbus born?
- When did he set sail with the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria?
- How did it all end with Columbus?

I started getting a few students telling me that Christopher Columbus was born in Australia.  Then later someone asked how Columbus could be born in 1951 but sail in 1942.  Quickly, however, the students realized that something didn't quite make sense.  Then the emails started pouring in:

They got it!  Check your sources...One website ain't enough...Mr. Robinson's a tricky son of a gun.

So here is my problem. . .

Part 2 of the lesson: finish off your brainstorming using the app of your choice.  Then email me a screenshot.  Well the emails started pouring in again.  I've got 27 students and though not all of them emailed me something, several emailed me their work, then changed it and emailed me again. . .



So as I am weeding through all these emails, I was thinking THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY!!!

This is what I am asking for: I want to "reach" in to each student's device, see what they are doing and how far they got, and be able to evaluate it FOR learning or AS learning.  Instead of it going to me, I'd rather have me go to it. . .but easily.  Is that too much to ask?

So if you have any advice, I'd love to hear it

No comments:

Post a Comment